Dr. Kim is Vice Chairman and Professor of Neurological Surgery, and is Chief of the Neurological Surgery Service at Harborview Medical Center. He is part of a select group of neurosurgeons across the country fellowship-trained in both open vascular/skull base microsurgery and endovascular techniques for the treatment of cerebrovascular and spinal vascular diseases. He specializes exclusively in the treatment of cerebrovascular and spinal vascular lesions, including cerebral aneurysms, arteriovenous malformations (AVMs), cavernous malformations, dural arteriovenous fistulae (dAVFs), intracranial stenosis, carotid artery stenosis, spinal AVMs, and brain and spine tumor embolizations. Patients with cerebrovascular disease looking for an unbiased, expert opinion on the appropriate microsurgical or endovascular management should seek out an appointment in his clinic. Dr. Kim is board-certified by the American Board of Neurological Surgery.
Dr. Kim has received funding for his research through the National Institutes of Health (NIH/NINDS), FDA, Department of Defense, and Washington Research Foundation.
His clinical research relates to patient outcome measures and refinements in surgical and endovascular techniques in aneurysm, AVM, skull based tumor, and cavernous malformation surgery. He is engaged in several prospective cerebrovascular clinical trials charged with the goal of improving both the way we deliver neurosurgical care and patient outcomes.
His laboratory research investigates aneurysm flow and computer fluid dynamics modeling, neurosurgical robotics technology, neuroendoscopic neurosurgical instrument design and development, quantification of radiation dosing for diagnostic and endovascular procedures, and minimally invasive access techniques for skull base and cerebrovascular surgery.
Hiking, skiing, running, golf, reading.
Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center
Barrow Neurological Institute
Barrow Neurological Institute
GOOGLE SCHOLAR PROFILE
- Riina HA, Lemole GA, Kim LJ, Spetzler RF. Stroke: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, and Management (ed. Mohr, Choi, Grotta, Weir, Wolf) 4th edition, 2004 Elsevier Press, Philadelphia, PA; Chapter 72; Spinal arteriovenous malformations.
- Kim LJ, Daspit P. Posterior fossa arachnoid cysts. Neurotology (ed. Jackler & Brackmann) Elsevier Mosby, Philadelphia, PA, pp. 944-948, 2005.
- Feiz-Erfan I, Zabramski JM, Kim LJ, Klopfenstein JD: Natural history of cavernous malformations of the central nervous system. Lanzino G and Spetzler RF (eds): Cavernous Malformations of the Brain and Spinal Cord. New York, Thieme, 2007.
- Dashti SR, Kim LJ, Spetzler RF. Classification of Spinal Vascular Malformations. HR Winn (ed): Youmans, Textbook of Neurological Surgery. 6th edition Philadelphia, Elsevier 2009.
- Dashti SR, Park M, Kim LJ, Spetzler RF. Spinal Vascular Malformations. Stroke: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, and Management (ed Mohr, Choi, Grotta, Weir, Wolf). 5th edition Elsevier Press, Philadelphia 2011.
- Kim LJ, Levitt MR, Iman Feiz-Erfan, Spetzler RF. Cavernous hemangiomas and dural arteriovenous fistulas. Nanda (ed): Principles of posterior fossa surgery. New York, Thieme 2011.
- Sekhar LN, Ramanathan D, Rosen J, Kim LJ, Friedman D, Glozman D, Moe K, Lendvay T, Hannaford B. Robotics in Neurosurgery. Chapter 30; Surgical Robotics; 1st edition Springer 2011.
- Sekhar LN, Tariq F, Brito da Silva H, Ghodke BV, Kim LJ. Bypass and vascular reconstruction for posterior circulation aneurysms. Samii’s Essentials in Neurosurgery. (ed Ramina, Pires de Aguiar, Tatagiba) Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2014.
- Levitt MR, Osbun JW, Kim LJ. Thromboembolic complications while coiling. In: Gonzalez FL, Albuquerque FC, McDougall CG, eds. Neurointerventional Techniques: Tricks of the Trade. New York, NY: Thieme; 2014.
- Sekhar LN, Brito da Silva H, Tariq F, Kim LJ, Ghodke BV. Bypass and vascular reconstruction for anterior circulation aneurysms. Samii’s Essentials in Neurosurgery. (ed Ramina, Pires de Aguiar, Tatagiba) Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2014.
- Osbun JW, Nerva JD, Kim LJ. Dural arteriovenous fistulae: Endovascular management. Atlas of neurosurgical techniques, (ed Sekhar and Fessler) 2nd Ed: Cranial Surgery. New York, Thieme 2015.
- Osbun JW, Levitt MR, Ferreira Jr M, Kim LJ. Embolization of vascular tumors. In: Spetzler RF, Kalani MYS, Nakaji P, eds. Neurovascular Surgery, 2nd Edition. New York, NY: Thieme; 2015.
- Sekhar LN, Mantovani A, Brito da Silva H, Nerva JD, Kim LJ. General techniques for the surgery of arteriovenous malformations. Atlas of neurosurgical techniques, (ed Sekhar and Fessler) 2nd Ed: Cranial Surgery. New York, Thieme 2015.
- Morton RP, Brito da Silva H, Ghodke BV, Hallam DK, Sekhar LN, Kim LJ. Atlas of neurosurgical techniques, (ed Sekhar and Fessler) 2nd Ed: Cranial Surgery. New York, Thieme 2015.
- Sekhar LN, Brito da Silva H, Mantovani A, Kim LJ. Basilar tip and posterior cerebral artery aneurysms. Atlas of neurosurgical techniques, (ed Sekhar and Fessler) 2nd Ed: Cranial Surgery. New York, Thieme 2015.
- Levitt MR, Ghodke BV, Kim LJ. Endovascular surgery: General technique. Atlas of neurosurgical techniques, (ed Sekhar and Fessler) 2nd Ed: Cranial Surgery. New York, Thieme 2015.
- Osbun JW, Nerva JD, Kim LJ. Classification of Spinal Arteriovenous Lesions: Arteriovenous Fistulas and Arteriovenous Malformations. In HR Winn (Ed.) Youmans & Winn Neurological Surgery, 7th edition. New York, NY, Elsevier, 2016.
- Nerva JD, Morton RP, Kim LJ. Natural history of AVFs, Clinical Presentation and Indications for Treatment. In G Lanzino, J Sheehan & A Dumont (Eds.) Brain Arteriovenous Malformations and Arteriovenous Fistulas. New York, NY, Thieme, 2017.
- McGrath Jr LB, Nerva JD, Kim LJ. On-label use (Illustrative cases). In MS Park, P Taussky, FC Albuquerque & CG McDougall (Eds) Flow Diversion of Cerebral Aneurysms. New York, NY, Thieme, 2017.
- Nerva JD, Kim LJ. Pericallosal Artery Aneurysms. In L Rangel-Castilla, P Nakaji, AH Siddiqui, RF Spetzler & EI Levy (Eds.) Decision Making in Neurovascular Disease. New York, NY, Thieme, 2018.
- Laligam N Sekhar, Farzana Tariq, Louis J Kim, Danial K Hallam, Basavaraj Ghodke: Neuroendovascular Management of Tumors and Vascular Malformations of the Head and Neck. In Kim Ducksoo, Dan E Orron, Nilesh H Patel, Alik Farber (Eds), Vascular Imaging and Intervention, 2/e, Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers, Delhi, India, Jun 2019, pp 843-872.
- Sen RD, Kim LJ, Levitt MR. Carotid cavernous fistula presenting with vision loss. In Nakaji PN, Levitt MR (Eds.) Cerebrovascular Neurosurgery, Neurosurgery by Example. New York, NY, Oxford University Press, August 2019, Chapter 24.
- Barros G, Osbun JW, Kim LJ, Levitt MR. Thromboembolic Complications While Coiling. In: Gonzalez FL, Park MS, Harrigan MR (Eds) Neurointerventional Techniques: Tricks of the Trade, 2nd Edition. New York, NY, Thieme, 2021. In press.
- Feroze AH, Barros G, Sen R, Abecassis IJ, Walker M, Hallam DK, Ghodke BV, Kim LJ, Levitt MR. Spinal dural arteriovenous fistulas and malformations. In: Park MS, Kalani MYS, Stiefel MF (Eds) Neurointerventional Surgery: An Evidence Based Approach. New York, NY, Thieme, 2021. In press.