Dr. Khan completed medical school from the Aga Khan University in Pakistan. He subsequently pursued research fellowships at LSU Shreveport, Vanderbilt University and Dartmouth College before completing a neurosurgery residency at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center. He also obtained a Master’s Degree in Public Health from The Dartmouth Institute during his residency.
Endoscopic spinal surgery, complex spine surgery; general neurosurgery
Clinical outcomes, healthcare disparities, health policy
Spending time with family and friends, reading, music
The Aga Khan University Medical College, Karachi, Pakistan
Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center
1. Khan IS, Afzal O, Rai MA. XDR tuberculosis and the Indian-subcontinent: effective prevention strategies needed.Tuberculosis (Edinb). 2009 Mar;89(2):107-8.
2. Ahmed AE, Masood K, Dean SV, Shakir T, Kardar AA, Barlass U, Imam SH, Mohmand MG, Ibrahim H, Khan IS, Akram U, Hasnain F. The constant threat of terrorism: stress levels and coping strategies amongst university students of Karachi. J Pak Med Assoc. 2011 Apr;61(4):410-4.
3. Khan IS, Javalkar V, Thakur JD, Nanda A. Intrasellar plasmacytoma: an illustrative case and literature review. J Clin Neurosci. 2012 Feb;19(2):210-3.
4. Thakur JD, Chittiboina P, Khan IS, Nanda A. Unique case of postpartum cerebral angiopathy requiring surgical intervention: case report and review of literature. Neurol India. 2011 Nov-Dec;59(6):891-4.
5. Wadhwa R, Khan IS, Thomas JO, Nanda A, Guthikonda B. Hemorrhagic subependymal giant cell astrocytoma in a patient with tuberous sclerosis: case report and review of the literature. Neurol India. 2011 Nov-Dec;59(6):933-5.
6. Sonig A, Thakur JD, Chittiboina P, Khan IS, Nanda A. Is posttraumatic cerebrospinal fluid fistula a predictor of posttraumatic meningitis? A US Nationwide Inpatient Sample database study. Neurosurg Focus. 2012 Jun;32(6):E4.
7. Thakur JD, Sonig A, Khan IS, Connor DE Jr, Pait TG, Nanda A. Jacques Bénigne Winslow (1669-1760) and the Misnomer Cavernous Sinus. World Neurosurg. 2012 Jun 18.
8. Thakur JD, Sonig A, Chittiboina P, Khan IS, Wadhwa R, Nanda A. Humphrey Ridley (1653-1708): 17th century evolution in neuroanatomy and selective cerebrovascular injections for cadaver dissection. Neurosurg Focus. 2012 Aug;33(2):E3.
9. Thakur JD, Banerjee AD, Khan IS, Sonig A, Shorter CD, Gardner GL, Nanda A, Guthikonda B. An update on unilateral sporadic small vestibular schwannoma. Neurosurg Focus. 2012 Sep;33(3):E1.
10. Thakur JD, Khan IS, Shorter CD, Sonig A, Gardner GL, Guthikonda B, Nanda A Do cystic vestibular schwannomas have worse surgical outcomes? Systematic analysis of the literature. Neurosurg Focus. 2012 Sep;33(3):E12.
11. Sonig A, Khan IS, Wadhwa R, Thakur JD, Nanda A. The impact of comorbidities, regional trends, and hospital factors on discharge dispositions and hospital costs after acoustic neuroma microsurgery: a United States nationwide inpatient data sample study (2005-2009). Neurosurg Focus. 2012 Sep;33(3):E3.
12. Khan IS, Thakur JD, Ahmed O, Shorter CD, Thomas-Ogunniyl J, Kim MT, Jeroudi MA, Guthikonda B. Primary calvarial angiosarcoma: A case report and review of the literature. Surg Neurol Int. 2012;3:134
13. Khan IS, Ahmed O, Thakur JD, Shorter CD, Guthikonda B. Craniocervical arachnoid cyst in a patient with Klippel-Feil syndrome: a unique case: case report. J Neurosurg Spine. 2013 Feb;18(2):161-4.
14. Khan IS, Sonig A, Thakur JD, Bollam P, Nanda A. Perioperative complications in patients undergoing open transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion as a revision surgery. J Neurosurg Spine. 2013 Mar;18(3):260-4.
15. Nanda A, Khan IS, Goldman R, Testa M. Sports-related concussions and the Louisiana Youth Concussion Act. J La State Med Soc. 2012 Sep-Oct;164(5):246-50.
16. Khan IS, Thakur JD, Chittiboina P, Nanda A. Large sacral osteoblastoma: a case report and review of multi-disciplinary management strategies. J La State Med Soc. 2012 Sep-Oct;164(5):251-5.
17. Ehtesham M, Min E, Issar NM, Kasl RA, Khan IS, Thompson RC. The role of the CXCR4 cell surface chemokine receptor in glioma biology. J Neurooncol. 2013 Jun;113(2):153-62.
18. Khan IS, Sonig A, Thakur JD, Nanda A. Surgical management of intracranial arachnoid cysts: clinical and radiological outcome. Turk Neurosurg. 2013;23(2):138-43.
19. Ladner TR, Ehtesham M, Davis BJ, Khan IS, Ghiassi M, Ghiassi M, Singer RJ. Resolution of trigeminal neuralgia by coil embolization of a persistent primitive trigeminal artery aneurysm. BMJ Case Rep. 2013 Apr 25; 2013.
20. Sonig A, Thakur J, Grass M, Khan IS, Gandhi V, Nanda A. Antonius Balthazar Raymundus Hirsch and the peregrination of "gasserian ganglion" J Neurosurg. 2013 May 10.
21. Patil S, Nourbakhsh A, Thakur JD, Khan IS, Guthikonda B.Fatal Intracranial Hemorrhage as the Initial Presentation of Acute Lymphocyti Leukemia: A Case Report. Turk Neurosurg. 2013;23(4):568-571.
22. Khan IS, Ladner TR, Satti KF, Ehtesham M, Jordan LC, Singer RJ. Endovascular thrombolysis for pediatric cerebral sinus venous thrombosis with tissue plasminogen activator and abciximab. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2013 Nov 1.
23. Zaiss M, Goerke S, Xu J, Khan IS, Singer RJ, Gore JC, Gochberg D, Bachert P. Inverse Z-spectrum analysis for MT and spillover corrected and T1 compensated steady-state pulsed CEST-MRI – application to pH-weighted MRI of acute stroke. NMR Biomed. 2014 Jan 3.
24. Khan IS, Kelly PD, Singer RJ. Prototyping of Cerebral Vasculature Physical Models. Surg Neurol Int. 2014 Jan 27;5:11.
25. Khan IS, Kiehna EN, Satti KF, Ehtesham M, Ghiassi M, Singer RJ. Surgical Management of Large Scalp Infantile Hemangiomas. Surg Neurol Int. 2014 Mar 27;5:41.
26. Wadhwa RK, Thakur JD, Khan IS, James J, Ahmed O, Zhang S, Henderson B, Ogden A, Guthikonda B, Nanda A. Adjustment of Suboptimally Placed Lumbar Pedicle Screws Decreases Pullout Strength and Alters Biomechanics of the Construct: A Pilot Cadaveric Study. World Neurosurg. 2014 Apr 30.
27. Zhang S, Thakur JD, Khan IS, Menger R, Kukreja S, Ahmed O, Guthikonda B, Smith D, Nanda A Anterior stabilization for unstable traumatic thoracolumbar spine burst fractures.. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2014 Nov 5;130 C:86-90.
28. Khan IS, Ehtesham M Targeting glioblastoma cancer stem cells: the next great hope?. Neurosurg Focus. 2014 Dec;37(6):E7.
29. Li H, Zu Z, Zaiss M, Khan IS, Singer RJ, Gochberg DF, Bachert P, Gore JC, Xu J Imaging of amide proton transfer and nuclear Overhauser enhancement in ischemic stroke with corrections for competing effects.. NMR Biomed. 2015 Feb;28(2):200-9.
30. Zhang S, Thakur JD, Khan IS, Menger R, Kukreja S, Ahmed O, Guthikonda B, Smith D, Nanda A Anterior stabilization for unstable traumatic thoracolumbar spine burst fractures.. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2015 Mar;130:86-90.
31. Khan IS, Ehtesham M. Laboratory models for central nervous system tumor stem cell research.. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2015;853:69-83
32. Khan IS, Ehtesham M. Isolation and characterization of stem cells from human central nervous system malignancies.. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2015;853:33-47.
33. Khan IS, Ehtesham M. Emerging strategies for the treatment of tumor stem cells in central nervous system malignancies. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2015;853:167-87
34. Fiorella D, Zuckerman SL, Khan IS, Ganesh NK, Mocco J. Intracerebral Hemorrhage: A Common and Devastating Disease in Need of Better Treatment. World Neurosurg. 2015 Oct;84(4):1136-41
35. Khan IS, Odom M, Ehtesham M, Colvin D, Quarles CC, McLaughlin B, Singer RJ. Intraarterial administration of norcantharidin attenuates ischemic stroke damage in rodents when given at the time of reperfusion: novel uses of endovascular capabilities. J Neurosurg. 2016 Jul;125(1):152-9.
36. Nanda A, Khan IS, Apuzzo ML. Renaissance Neurosurgery: Italy's Iconic Contributions. World Neurosurg. 2016 Mar;87:647-55.
37. Ganesh Kumar N, Zuckerman SL, Khan IS, Dewan MC, Morone PJ, Mocco J. Treatment of intracerebral hemorrhage: a selective review and future directions. J Neurosurg Sci. 2016 Mar 18.
38. Porras JL, Khalid S, Root B, Khan IS, Singer RJ. Point-of-View Recording Devices for Intraoperative Neurosurgical Video Capture and Streaming. Frontiers in Surgery. Front Surg. 2016 Oct 25.
39. Calnan DR, Khan IS, Simmons NE. False Localization of Ruptured Intracranial Dermoid Secondary to Subarachnoid Spread of Cyst Contents. World Neurosurg 2018 Nov; 119;52-53
40. Khan IS, D'Agostino EN, Calnan DR, Lee JE, Aronson JP. Deep Brain Stimulation for Memory Modulation: A New Frontier. World Neurosurg. 2019 Jan 14.
41. D'Agostino EN, Calnan DR, Makler VI, Khan I, Kanter JH, Bauer DF. Type I split cord malformation and tethered cord syndrome in an adult patient: A case report and literature review. Surg Neurol Int. 2019;10:90.
42. Khan IS, Huang E, Walker MY, Yen R, Simmons NE, Ball P, Ryken TY. Racial disparities in outcomes after spine surgery: a meta-analysis. World Neurosurg. 2021;S1878-8750(21)01493-5. doi:10.1016/j.wneu.2021.09.140
43. Pomponio M, Khan IS, Evans LR, Simmons NE, Ball PA, Ryken TR, Hong J. Association between interhospital transfer and increased in-hospital mortality in patients with spinal epidural abscesses. Spine J. 2022 Jan 8;S1529-9430(22)00006-7
44. Kanter JH, Pomponio MK, Khan I, Hong J. Understanding secondary overtriage for neurosurgical patients in a rural tertiary care setting. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2022;213:107101. doi:10.1016/j.clineuro.2021.107101