Dr. Mourad is a Professor in the Department of Neurological Surgery, Professor in the Department of Engineering and Mathematics at UW Bothell, an Adjunct Professor in the Departments of Bioengineering, Radiology and Pediatric Dentistry, and an Affiliate in the Applied Physics Laboratory.
Dr. Mourad's primary research interest is using bioengineering principles, particularly diagnostic and therapeutic ultrasound to make scientific and therapeutic advances in neurosurgery. His research interests are in the application of ultrasound to diagnosis and treatment of CNS disease, including blood-brain barrier disruption for drug delivery, acceleration of recovery of peripheral nerve injuries, noninvasive determination of intracranial pressure, novel means of imaging brain diseases and disorders, and localization of pain generators. He has been supported by NIH, NASA DOD and VA grants.
Doctorate of Philosophy
University of Washington
LINK TO NCBI ARTICLES AND PATENTS
BOOK CHAPTERS PUBLISHED OR IN PRESS
- Mourad PD (2013), “Therapeutic Ultrasound, with an emphasis on applications to the brain” in Nakamura K, Ueha S, eds. Ultrasonic transducers - materials design and applications. Woodhead Publishing Ltd, pp545-568.
- Czosnyka M, Schmidt B, Schmidt EA, Ramakrishna R, Mourad PD, Kliot M. Non-Invasive Brain Monitoring. In: Le Roux PD, Levine J, Kofke WA, eds. Monitoring in Neurocritical Care. Philadelphia: Elsevier, in press.
- Dahl, E., L. Nguyen, R. Sparks, A. Brayman, R. Ollos, D. Silbergeld, S.Vaezy, and Mourad PD, "Towards the use of HIFU in conjunction with surgery in the treatment of malignant brain tumors," in Therapeutic Ultrasound, Proceedings of the 5th International Symposium, G.T. Clement, N.J. McDannold and K. Hynynen, eds., 218-222. American Institute of Physics Press, 2006.
- Mourad PD, Anderson B, Bobola M, Dahl D, Ellenbogen R, Farrell L, Mesiwala A, Morrison R, Nemecek A, Nguyen L, Ollos RA, Porter T, Santiago P, Silbergeld DL, Stamps L, Vaezy S (2003). Towards Intra-Operative Treatment of High-Grade Gliomas with HIFU, in Therapeutic Ultrasound, Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium, M.A. Andrew, L.A. Crum and S. Vaezy, eds (American Institute of Physics Press), pp. 518-524.
- D. A. Lazar, F. P. Curra, B. C. Mohr, L. D. McNutt, M. Kliot and Mourad PD. Acceleration of recovery after injury to the peripheral nervous system via ultrasound and other therapeutic modalities. In: Mayberg, M. R. and H. R. Winn – consulting editors (2001) Neurosurgery Clinics of North America, “Peripheral nerve issues: Controversies in Peripheral Nerve Surgery,” M. Kliot – guest editor. V12(2), pp. 353-358.
- L. A. Crum, K. Beach, S. Carter, W. Chandler, F. P. Curra, P. Kaczkowski, G. Keilman, V. Khokhlova, R. Martin, Mourad PD, and S. Vaezy (2000) Acoustic Hemostasis. In: W. Lauterborn and T. Kurz, (eds.), “Nonlinear Acoustics at the Turn of the Millennium,” Am. Inst. Of Physics, ISNA 15, (New York), pp. 13-22.
- Mourad PD, and L. A. Crum (1999) An examination and review of ultrasound for lipoplasty. In: Dispaltro, F. L. (editor), “Clinics in Plastic Surgery on Ultrasound-Assisted Lipoplasty: Part II. W. B. Saunders Company, (Sydney), Ch. 9, pp. 409-422.
- Mourad PD (1999) Footprints of atmospheric phenomena in synthetic aperture radar images of the ocean surface - a review. In: G.L. Geernaert (editor), “Air-Sea Exchange: physics, chemistry, and dynamics” Kluwer Academic Publishers (Dordrecht). Chapter 11, 269-290.
- Mourad PD (1999) Biological effects of ultrasound. In: Webster, J. L. (editor), “Encyclopedia of Electronics and Electrical Engineering,” John Wiley & Sons (Philadelphia), V2, pp.368-386